Monday, November 23, 2009

Eye of the Beholder, Part II

How is it possible that on a planet with such huge diversity of life, we tend to think that animals are only things with fur or feathers?

To be fair, one reason is that many of the other organisms are microscopic and/or they dwell underwater. But I find that many people are simply unaware of the existence and ubiquity of non-mammals. Because humans are mammals, we are predisposed to appreciate cute, furry things, so they grab our attention.

This is unfortunate, because all organisms--not just animals--are complex and interesting in some way. It only takes a little effort to learn more about them. Even one's sense of aesthetics can be expanded through the pursuit of knowledge.

Case in point: I have a passion for marine invertebrates, particularly snails. I feel about gastropods the way cat-lovers feel about cats. Most people have a sort of "nod and smile" reaction when I talk about how beautiful snails are--at least, those people who aren't grossed out. But how can an animal that makes something as gorgeous as a sea shell not be beautiful in and of itself? How can the biological process that results in a shell not be fascinating? Indeed, when I talk about those issues and show people specimens, they do begin to see snails as more beautiful than before.

The English philosopher Herbert Spencer said, “Those who have never entered upon scientific pursuits know not a tithe* of the poetry by which they are surrounded.” Of course, he didn't mean that everyone should be a scientist, but he did mean that it is a virtue to be curious and to explore that curiosity. We can all at least take a walk around the block and notice many different living things besides the obvious people, cats, dogs, birds, trees, and grass.

The Spencer quote resonates very strongly with me. I find that the more I learn about an organism, the more fascinating and beautiful it becomes. The more different organisms I learn about, the more amazing the universe seems. There is no mystery or wonder lost in the gain of knowledge. Rather, I come to appreciate my subject more deeply, and I am inspired to ask more questions. It is worth remembering that there is no limit to the number of questions we have yet to answer. That is why, after years of studying biology, I can still be fascinated by a walk around my block.

*Spencer used the word "tithe" in its somewhat archaic sense of a tenth, or a small part.

No comments: